Ripple Reading, an NPO founded in 2013 to assist learners in Foundation Phase struggling to read, has developed a curriculum with the main objective of enabling these Grade 1-3 learners to read with understanding.
When learners understand what is being read, their world opens up as all written material now becomes accessible, thereby providing them with invaluable tools for the future. As a result, they are empowered to reach their potential ultimately becoming become leaders within their communities. In other words, this process causes a Ripple effect within the wider community.
Reading skills form the basis of almost all learning, and the effect of literacy is widespread, creating bigger ripples in the lives of the learners and those with whom they interact on a daily basis.
The development of our intervention programme is based on three main bodies of research; Mind (Study of Psychology), Brain (Study of neuroscience) and Education (Study of Pedagogy). With a curriculum based on neuroscience, designed by an educational psychologist, Ripple Reading is able to provide a brighter future for bright children.
At Ripple Reading , we envision a South Africa where children can read on grade level with understanding.
To equip Africa by helping future generations develop a passion and skill for reading, opening up a world of opportunities and benefits.
Ripple Reading’s Values
- To care for the child first as part of the community.
- To instill a feeling of individual self-worth by teaching and developing skills, self-sufficiency and personal pride.
- To be honest and ethical in all our dealings.
- To treat all members of the school community equally and give fair opportunities to all.
- To be genuine contributors to society, through sustainable programmes of action, societal engagement and upliftment.